9 Health Benefits of CBD You Need to Know
Cannabidiol, or CBD as it is most commonly known these days, is one of a number of chemical compounds contained in the cannabis plant, better known as cannabinoids.
Another well-known cannabinoid is Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), which is the psychoactive compound. Some other active cannabinoids include cannabicitran (CBT) and cannabigerol (CBG).
Let’s pay attention to CBD for now.
Why, you ask? Well, not only has CBD been associated with a reduction in cancer-causing cell growth but also, it has antipsychotic effects, making it the ideal solution for medical marijuana patients who want to get better without getting high!
Understanding Scientific Words Related to CBD
Now, let’s focus on some specific words that will help you to gain an insight into how CBD works inside the body.
The first word is “neuron”, which is located in the body’s central nervous system. Its primary duty is to transmit nerve impulses. Unless the neuron does this, you wouldn’t be able to function properly.
“Cannabinoid receptor” is a term you must be familiar with if you are considering buying CBD products from San Francisco dispensaries. Miraculously, the human body naturally possesses these receptors, which can turn on a neuron just like a switch can turn on an electronic device.
A “neurotransmitter” is a chemical messenger, responsible for telling the body to function properly. When your body is exposed to CBD, cannabinoids will perform just as a neurotransmitter would.
Unfortunately, not everybody will have sufficient stimuli and in this case, neurons will remain inactive, causing side effects like mood changes, pain and tiredness. These are just a few problems being treated using cannabis-based medications.
The good news? CBD could be the answer.
1. CBD is an Epilepsy Treatment – Boasting anti-seizure activity, CBD works as a potent treatment for patients who suffer from epileptic seizures. Medical CBD extracts, oils and alternative products may be used to treat children with Dravet syndrome, as well as both adults and children with Lennox-Gastaut syndrome (LGS). An example of medical marijuana medication being used to treat epilepsy is Epidolex.
2. CBD is an Depression Treatment – Although CBD does not “cure” depression, it is being widely used as a treatment. The cannabis compound works by sending glutamate and serotonergic signals via the 5-HT1A receptor-dependent mechanism, resulting in increased serotonin levels. What is serotonin, you ask? Well, it is a chemical neurotransmitter that controls your sexual desire, sleep, digestion, memory, appetite, behavior and, oh yeah… your mood.
3. CBD is an Anxiety Treatment – You have probably already heard about CBD as an anxiety treatment, but let’s refresh your memory. As many as 40 million adults in the United States suffer from this debilitating mental disorder on a daily basis. Many of these people will be unable to perform everyday tasks, speak in public, meet new people, etc. However, CBD is giving anxiety patients a chance to live again, without getting hooked on prescription meds. Brain imbalance can be restored when cannabinoids react inside the brain, resulting in reduced anxiety.
4. CBD Helps Combat Oxidative Stress – Oxidative stress happens when the body is unable to act against damage, due to the overproduction of free radicals. It is a common problem among people who do not include enough nutrients in their daily diet. When CBD enters the blood brain barrier, the compound can release its antioxidant influences into the brain, thus treating oxidative stress.
5. CBD is an Anti-inflammatory – Inflammation is a serious health condition that can prove fatal if it goes unnoticed, or if it is ignored. The good news is that CBD is a natural anti-inflammatory. You need not worry about becoming dependent on CBD, which will reduce the risk of low-level inflammation diseases/conditions, such as chronic lower respiratory disease and heart disease.
6. CBD is a Chronic Pain Treatment – Commonly used to relieve discomfort in patients who are undergoing chemotherapy for cancer, CBD is a natural pain-reliever. The anti-inflammatory acts as a safer and often more effective alternative to Opioid medications. How, you ask? Well, the cannabis compound regulates immune functions and interacts with brain receptors responsible for controlling feelings of pain.
7. CBD May Assist with Weight Management – A lot of people will avoid using cannabis-containing products, such as CBD-infused edibles, simply because they don’t want to get a serious case of the munchies! The truth is that you won’t necessarily pile on the pounds when you use CBD products. In fact, CBD can promote calorie-burning and encourage the breakdown/oxidation of fat, according to the Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry study.
8. CBD is a Natural Sleep Aid – Do you struggle to get your full eight hours of shuteye every night? If so, your bodily functions may not work as they should, such as your memory and concentration. You might even find yourself snapping at a colleague in the workplace, as you struggle to find your balance. Why not enhance your quality of sleep by using a CBD oil with sedative effects? When CBD compounds react with the CBR1 receptor in the endocannabinoid system, sleep process will begin to regulate, not to mention mood, emotions and other everyday functions.
9. CBD Can be Used to Fight Addiction – Addiction can ruin people’s lives, not to mention their health. Perhaps one of the most significant health benefits associated with this cannabinoid is the fact that CBD compounds from what is known as a “Schedule 1 Drug” can actually be used to treat withdrawal syndrome. A safe alternative to narcotics and synthetic drugs, CBD is non-addictive and will not harm health, much like other addictive substances might.